New Delhi, Mar.16 (ANI): Nobody quite tied his pagdi (turban) as perfectly as Raminder Jassal. Each pleat ran parallel and was tucked tight, and even at the end of a 12-hour workday, the pug was in place and he was ready to go on camera as if he had just tied his turban.
The Antim Ardas or the final prayer for India’s Ambassador to Turkey, Raminder Jassal, was held in New Delhi today. Jassal breathed his last battling cancer, bravely. In his 40 years in the Indian Foreign Service, Jassal served as Ambassador to Israel and Deputy Chief of Mission in Washington where he played a crucial role during the Indo-US nuclear deal. He also served in the Indian missions in Russia and Israel.
Jassal, however, became a household face during the Kargil conflict. His daily briefings to the media were televised and came live into our living rooms. He recounted with dignity the loss of lives, he proudly stated our daily wins, and sombrely noted the casualties. In effect, the Kargil conflict was the first televised war and Jassal was a part of the information mechanism that brought the horror of war close to us.
Jassal was popular with journalists, this mostly, because of his ready wit and unflinching patriotism. I met him in April 2010 for the last time. He was battling cancer, and when I asked him how he was, Jassal replied “as handsome as ever, and I dare you to say no.” I couldn’t have said anything but yes, because he looked the same Jassal, smiling, and always ready with a joke. Farewell friend. (ANI)
|I am the Editor News, at Asian News International (ANI), Indiaís leading Multimedia News Agency and the India Correspondent for Channel News Asia, a Singapore based broadcaster.|
- You can't sweep this battle under a rug
- Let's go back to an 'Interruptible and Conditional' dialogue with Pak
- In Republic we trust
- Good governance isn't God's gift
- Hype is bound to die out
- 'Make the budget here'
- BJP: A few good men, but not in UP
- Watching you closely, Pakistan
- Summer of social networking in Kashmir
- The Gods and Me
- Operation ĎSafe Homecomingí plays out on Twitter
- Farewell Jassal
- No Drama Obama and MMS style similar
- ExCel centre no Vigyan Bhavan
- Itís Kadi Chawal for Manmohan and a Marwari-UP combo for Sonia!
- India will get access to Headley: Obama
- Where are all the Mangaloreans?
- G-20 protesters plan to fool cops on April 1st
- It's almost a "Satvik" meal for rich leaders
- Londeners stay home as thousands of VIPs come in
- OMG! The Kaftan is a fashion statement this summer
- Recession hit Americans don't buy Indian mangoes
- Sex for Gas!
- No summer jobs for Indian students in US
- Thorium Reactors Integral To Indian Energy Independence
- Itís all about energy
- Russian Troika is a happy meal that US won't like
- PM lays wreath at Unknown Soldier tomb
- American security for Manmohan
- Suicide bomber held on eve of PM's arrival
- Manmohan Singh visits Babarís tomb
- KABUL DIARY Chaos everywhere
- Saris Losing Popularity in Tamil Nadu
- PM has enough of NRI meetings
- India combats Pak lies with sharp wit at UN